So I have a weird confession to make to you guys. I am kind of obsessed with school supplies. Or office supplies now I guess. I always have been, and probably always will be. I used to collect pens. My favorite time of year was back to school shopping when we would get our supply lists and go shopping to find the perfect pencil boxes, backpacks, and highlighters. I have way too many notebooks that are halfway empty, and I don’t think anything is better than a good planner. Anyway, now that you know this about me I think we can move on with this.
The other day I was at TJ Maxx, and of course I was looking at their notebooks. Trying to figure out something I needed one for. As I was perusing, I came across one the grabbed me. The cover was a oceanic blue, and in white letters, it said, “Life isn’t about finding yourself, it’s about creating yourself.” I picked it up, and bought it right then and there.
This quote was so eye opening to me. I had a life revelation, one of those moments that I will look back on later on in my life, right there in the middle of TJ Maxx.
I feel like ever since college, I have been really trying to figure out what I want to “do” with my life, I have been trying to find out who I am. Trying to find out what my passions are. The things I’m good at, and the things I should never try again. Who I want to be as a person, and what kind of legacy I am meant to leave. I feel like I have been soul searching for this person named Nicole, and haven’t quite been able to find her.
Maybe that’s because I’m never going to find her, because I have to create her.
I have to find out what she is excited about, and do it. I have to find out what kind of person she wants to be, and be it. I have to find out what kind of hobbies she wants to pursue and run like crazy after them.
This was so exciting and freeing to me once I realized the validity of this little notebook. We don’t have to waste our time waiting to “find” ourselves. To find out who we are meant to be. No, instead we just decide who we want to be, and we create that person. I want to create my own name. I want to decide what people see me as. Our opportunities are endless, we can create ourselves to be whoever we want to be. I don’t want to wait around to find out who I am going to be defined as, because I want to create who I will be.
If you could pick any qualities and attributes, and have them for yourself, what would they be? Nothing is off limits, we just have to recognize our desires and figure out how to get there.
Here are some ways I want to create myself:
- I want to be intentional in relationships
- I’m going to invest in at least 2 people a week
- I want to be a photographer
- cool, I’ll start taking pictures
- I want to be a blogger
- All you have to do is start writing, girl. And a lot.
- I want to be a runner
- Stop making excuses and get your butt out there to run
- I want to be a singer
- Haha, we can’t completely create from scratch, we have to work with what we’ve got. Try again
- I want to be patient
- Think before acting. Be responsive, not reactive
- I want to be someone who is dependable
- Show up when people need it the most. Show up.
- I want to be someone who is interesting
- Read, talk to all kinds of people. Knowledge is power, and the more you read, the more you know, the more people you can connect with.
I asked Goodman as well:
- I want to be well spoken
- Read more, and books that help formulate opinions on important issues
- I want to be in really good shape
- Okay, let’s start by working out 3 times a week
- I want to be a good coach (sports and life)
- Find a league to coach
- I want to be a good motivator/mentor
- Be more intentional with the young people in my life
- I want to be a good cook
- Okay, cook once a week for the fam and blow their socks off
- I want to be well known, in my community
- Okay, so start getting involved in things in your community
- I want to be very generous
- Give whatever I have at the moment. Whether it is time, helping people move, or resources that will help someone in need.
I really want to encourage you guys to try this. Write down 5-10 things that you want to be able to say that you are, and then write down what you have to do to be able to be that. They don’t have to be long drawn out plans, but truly just something that you could do today to kickstart that today.
You can be all those things, you just have to take the time to create yourself. Just start somewhere.